Roger Goodell has mentioned that the Rooney Rule is not working. Currently there are only two minority general managers & four head coaches in the NFL.
According to Jim Trotter of NFL Network, owners will vote next week on a proposal by which a team could improve their draft slot by hiring a minority.
Here are some of the details Trotter laid out:
- A team could move up 6 spots in the 3rd-round of the draft for hiring a minority HC
- A team could move up 10 spots in the 3rd-round of the draft for hiring a minority GM
- A team could move up 16 spots in the 3rd-round of the draft for hiring a minority GM and HC in the same year
- A team’s 4th-round pick would move up 5 spots in the draft preceding the coach’s or GM’s third year if he is still with the club.
- If a minority assistant left to become a coordinator elsewhere, his former club would receive a 5th-round compensatory pick.
- If a minority leaves to become a head coach or general manager, his previous team would receive a 3rd-round compensatory pick.
- Any team that hires a minority as its quarterbacks coach would receive a 4th-round compensatory pick if the team retains that employee beyond one season.
The league office is also looking at further enhancing the Rooney Rule by doubling the number of minority candidates a team must interview for head-coaching vacancies.
It also would get rid of the rule where teams can block assistant coaches from being coordinators if they are under contract.
Follow @MySportsUpdate on twitter for all the latest info from around the NFL.